Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Chalkboard Backsplash

I did a back-splash in our kitchen....a chalkboard one! I figured if I didn't like it, we could always cover it up with a "real" back-splash....but I like it!! I used Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint, which I purchased at Home Depot, and I applied it with a rolling brush for a smooth finish. I did two coats and then had to let it sit for four days. I then "treated" the whole thing by rubbing white chalk all over and erasing it. It was messy but nothing a hand vacuum couldn't take care of! :)

Here is the before:


I used painters tape to make my edges.


And here is the after!



My friend Barika drew a Bible verse on there for me! It looks so good!! She did awesome!







4 comments:

Mama Lala said...

Hi, I was just wondering how this has held up. Any thoughts, now that it has been over a year? It looks lovely. I have thinking about doing one similar. Do you have any problems with grease splashes or keeping it clean? Those are my biggest concerns. Thanks!

JohnandMelanie said...

This has held up great! I love it! Sometimes grease does splash up on it, but when you wipe it with a wet rag it comes right off. :)

Anonymous said...

Just curious if you have a textured wall? I would love to do this but we have texture and am not sure how it would work...Thanks!

JohnandMelanie said...

No- my wall is not textured. It was painted with flat paint, and I painted the chalk paint right on top of it.