Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Graduation!!

I can't believe I have already finished my Master's Degree! These past two years have absolutely flown by! I am so thankful that the Lord led me to Columbia. He gave me so many opportunities there for ministry and learning and getting to do things I never dreamed of doing. One of the highlights of my time in Columbia was being able to lead worship at Shandon Baptist Church. To be surrounded by awesome musicians and being able to glean from them and grow as a leader and musician was incredible. I can not say enough wonderful things about the School of Music at USC. The teachers there were untouchable in their field of study. They pushed me to learn and grow as a musician. I learned more about music than I knew existed, which in turn led me to realize how much more there is to learn! You can never stop learning. There is always more to understand and to study. In order to graduate, I had to pass oral comprehensive exams. It is an hour-long exam where I am asked questions about music, and I must express to the committee the things I have learned in graduate school. It was so intimidating to be sitting in front of five teachers who are so smart, and knew the answer to every question that was asked. During that forever long hour, I was thankful to have been under the direction of these teachers who have found their calling to teach young musicians like me. It was humbling, but also a proud moment to reflect on all of the things I have learned in graduate school. It honestly took me to a whole new level in music. What was once just a song is now a particular song in a particular language with specific trends of that time in history, with a particular poet and composer. I am able now to understand more clearly the history of music, the way music has developed throughout the centuries, and where music is today. I have grown as a singer, and I have a very clear understanding of vocal pedagogy, singing techniques, and language pronunciation. I am so thankful to have been encouraged to go to graduate school, and to have gotten the opportunity to attend. I feel much closure and accomplishment on something I started when I was five years old. It was life-changing, something I will always recommend to any one, and an experience I will never forget!

1 comment:

Natalie Ruta said...

sooo proud!!! whoop whoop